Πέμπτη 24 Ιανουαρίου 2019

Jimmy Smith ‎- I'm Gon' Git Myself Together 1971 (Verve)


Label : Verve

Value : 
Funky funky stuff from Jimmy Smith – a killer late 60s album cut in collaboration with Johnny Pate, who's very much at the height of his blackploitation power here! The backings are full, but in ways that are quite different than other Smith albums on Verve – such as the sides done with Oliver Nelson – and Pate's groove here is plenty schooled in soul, yet also leaves lots of room for Smith's organ lines as the main solo vehicle. And as an added bonus, Jimmy also sings on the record – in a rough, raspy style that might not work on a straighter jazz set, but which really sounds great here – almost making the music come across like some of those funky Quincy Jones soundtrack numbers with vocals. Titles include "I Know What I Want", "Uh Ruh", "Dirty Roosta Booga", "Spill The Wine", "I'm Gon Git Myself Together", and "Need Mo"

Taste :

Jimmy Smith ‎- I Know What I Want


Jimmy Smith ‎- Uh Ruh


Download Lp

By Electric Looser

1 σχόλιο:

frumious bandersnatch είπε...

Thank you, that's a Jimmy Smith LP I've never heard !